The new Social Justice & Solidarity Committee consolidates the following standing committees: Anti-Poverty, Anti-Racism, Pride, Status of Women and Sustainability under one umbrella to address solidarity and social justice issues. The co-chairs for the Social Justice and Solidarity Committee are: Kavan Johal and Elaine Ong.
The terms of reference of the VESTA Pride Education Standing Committee are:
- to advise the Executive on matters relating to trans-identified, lesbian, gay, bisexual, two-spirited, intersex, questioning, and/or queer (LGBTQ) members of the school community, including support for those who are harassed due to real or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity;
- to advise the Executive Committee on bargaining clauses relating to issues relevant to LGBTQ issues;
- to provide support for VESTA members and/or other BCTF members addressing LGBTQ issues in their school communities;
- to work in conjunction with other VESTA or BCTF sections, standing committees, and advisory committees addressing issues related to social justice, where appropriate;
- to consider and potentially create projects, professional development opportunities, and the creation of resources and/or lessons aids related to LGBTQ topics for the use of VESTA members.
Resources that positively reflect LGBTQ people in the curriculum
National Day Against Homophobia
Gay & Lesbian Educators of British Columbia
Vancouver School Board LGBTTITQ Policy
BCTF Homophobia & Heterosexism Webpage