Your Zoom Link:
Topic: Dec 7th: GM / SRA Meeting
Time: Dec 7, 2021 04:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 865 6932 7417
Dial by your location
+1 778 907 2071 Canada
NOTICE OF GENERAL MEETING
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 7th, 2021 at 4:00 via ZOOM
GENERAL MEETING AGENDA
• Territorial Acknowledgement
VESTA give thanks and recognizes that this meeting takes place on the stolen, unceded joint territory of the Musqueam, Tsleil Waututh and Squamish Nations
• Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action #62
We call upon the federal, provincial, and territorial governments, in consultation and collaboration with Survivors, Aboriginal peoples, and educators, to:
i. Make age-appropriate curriculum on residential schools, Treaties, and Aboriginal peoples’ historical and contemporary contributions to Canada a mandatory education requirement for Kindergarten to Grade Twelve students.
ii. Provide the necessary funding to post-secondary institutions to educate teachers on how to integrate Indigenous knowledge and teaching methods into classrooms.
iii. Provide the necessary funding to Aboriginal schools to utilize Indigenous knowledge and teaching methods in classrooms.
iv. Establish senior-level positions in government at the assistant deputy minister level or higher dedicated to Aboriginal content in education.
• BCTF AGM Resolutions
That VESTA submit the following as local resolutions to the BCTF AGM:
• That the BCTF urge the Minister of Education and the Minister of Indigenous Relations & Reconciliation to revise Section 5(10)-(12) of the School Act Regulations to:
- delete any reference to the Commonwealth and imposed loyalty to the Crown;
- clarify that neither students nor staff shall be obliged to participate in a) the singing of O Canada, or
b) any patriotic exercise, or
c) imposed loyalty to the Crown;
- include a reference to the National Day for Truth & Reconciliation.
- include a reference to a local First Nation(s) song or anthem.
• That the BCTF advocate for the ending of programs between BC schools and local police and/or RCMP.
• That the BCTF encourage locals and sublocals to recognize the last week of September as Truth and Reconciliation week.
• That the BCTF review existing grant criteria in order to enable locals to hold grievance committee meetings for up to 6 days per school year.
• That a new By-Law 3.10 be added to the By-Laws: “No member shall hold the role of local president and/or any other locally-released officer for more than 10 years consecutively. Concomitantly, no member is eligible to stand for elections for the role of local president and/or any other locally-released officer for more than 10 years consecutively.”
• That Policies 4.17 and 4.19 be deleted.
The current wording of the policies is as follows:
4.17—That the BCTF and its locals oppose government’s proposals to institute “school centred leadership” in schools and “shared business systems” in districts and seek the co-operation of school support staff unions in this opposition. (06 AGM, p. 9)
4.19—That the BCTF and its locals work with trustees, parents, and supportive partner groups to convince the government to:
- rescind its plans to pilot or make mandatory “shared business systems” and “school centred leadership.”
- uphold elected trustees’ rights to determine levels of funding and staffing at schools.
- halt its plans to give districts the right to contract in or out services such as contract enforcement, professional development, and support services. (06 AGM, p. 9)
• BCTF AGM Delegates
• VESTA Bursary